Coveting a Cane Corso

One of the new breeds showcased at the WKC dog show this year will be the Cane Corso, and it’s a beauty. A well-muscled, big-boned, light molossian dog, popular in 19th century Italian art, whose history includes it among the Roman dogs of war, the Cane Corso has made a comeback from the edge of extinction, not only in its native southern Italy, but across the world.

WKC photo.

As a big game hunter and farm working dog, the Cane Corso fell out of favor when its work was no longer valued. Loss of game and new farming methods made its skills unnecessary, and the breed, all but obsolete. Through the dedication of a few Cane Corso enthusiasts, the breed is rebounding in popularity as a guard dog (its name Corso, probably comes from the Greek KOHORS for protector). 

I found several sites dedicated to this magnificent breed, but this breeder’s site is my favorite. Its write up on Cane Corso Security Systems is quite entertaining.

·          Voice Activated and Controlled.
·          Easy to Understand System Instructions.
·          Simple and easy to use operation.
·          No keypads to punch and codes to remember.
·          Completely Wireless Security System!
·          Comes with a variety of audible signals to alert you to emergency conditions.
·          Responds instantly to any type of emergency (fire, intrusion or personal).
·          Portable Personal Security System.
·          Simple, Clean, Fast Installation!
·          The completely wireless system needs no installation.
·          No mess*, No wires, No dust or imposition.

*(Housebreaking is required)

But its dogs are what really sold me.


This is Chaos. Isn’t she gorgeous? I don’t recall ever having seen a more fearsome and beautiful guard dog.

I may have to write an Ode to a Devil Dog (not to be confused with my Ode to a Yodel), but for now, I can appreciate, from afar, the apparent strength and temperament of these working dogs as I hone in on my future dog-owning plans. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Lynne,

Dogs I've had include:
Weimaraner - Akita - American Staffordshire Terrier - Doberman (2) - Bullmastiff (2) - Corgi - Cane Corso - Bernese Mountain Dog

RE the Cane Corso; it's my opinion that there are few people who should own this breed. Expert training is an absolute requirement. They are fast, powerful, fearless and protective. A properly trained, by the owner, Cane with good temperament can be a great companion and family dog. But, out of control Canes are fearsome liabilities that will intimidate your friends and family who may want to visit you even if they themselves are dog lovers. It is obvious that this breed will be a valuable part of your security system. I'm not writing this to discourage you; only to caution you to spend significant time around these dogs before making to commitment to ownership.

Cloud
Lynne said…
Absolutely!

It's clear from what I've read that these dogs are smart and very good at what they do. What they do is a combination of what they've been bred to do and what they have been trained to do. It would take serious skill and effort in dog training to be a successful owner of this breed. At this point, I'm simply admiring the traits of this well-trained and beautiful dog.

Despite the fact that I've owned a Pug and a Labrador, I really prefer mutts. I'm wary of older rescues because you can't know what habits may have been trained into them. I do like to know the tendencies of the breeds so that I can at least estimate what I'm getting into.

An Akita is another very owner-protective breed. Which has been your favorite and why?
Unknown said…
RE my top choice; it's the American Staffordshire Terrier. Why?
Intelligent
Alert
Absolutely fearless
Loyal
Highly Trainable
Medium size (mine was 70lbs.)
Minimum grooming
Extremely agile and fast
Strength/pound unmatched
Big head
Protective

This is the breed that is commonly called 'pit-bull' (different than the breed that is actually named Pit-Bull Terrier). Some cities outlaw the dog due to its reputation. The dogs bred to fight are not naturally aggressive but are trained to be that way. The reason these dogs are used/abused as fighting dogs is because of their fearlessness, strength etc.
My Staff was highly trained; I could put him in a 'down-stay' between a Doberman and German Shepard and turn my back and walk away; and I did. He had a keen sense of discrimination and could sense if my wife was in an uncomfortable situation which would bring him to full ready-alert. But, this is another breed that should definitely have owner requirements; they MUST be trained and well socialized. Being a short haired dog they don't do well in cold weather outdoors. If I was going to stay in a northern climate, which I'm not, I would carefully consider a Black Russian Terrier as my next dog. But, since I'm planning to move south I will be getting another Am-Staff.
Cloud
Lynne said…
Thanks for sharing your wealth of information and experience. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the traits of a terrier (BRT or Bull) and a mastiff type. I have tons of time before I have to make my decision about the next dog (years), so I can collect lots more information.

Only recently I've noticed how very much my own yappy lap dog, a Pug, looks like a miniature version of the bullmastiff (facial appearance only). Pugs are weird little dogs.

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

There's No Place Like Home

Objectivist Round Up #153