We the People

Now where have I heard that before? Oh, that's right. It's the first three words of the Constitution of the United States. Let me tell you a funny little story about that.

Once upon a time, I was sitting in my daughter's Honors American History class taking a mini-version of the US Citizenship test. The question before me was "What are the first words of the Constitution?" And I had choices: (a) When in the course of human events; (b) We the People; (c) In order to form a more perfect union; (d) To Whom it May Concern. I chose (b)We the People. Silly parent. It's (c), In order to form a more perfect union.

Now I had my trusty pocket Declaration of Independence/US Constitution in my purse, but I felt it best not to school this much beloved Honors US History teacher in front of a classroom full of parents on "Back to School Night", who apparently did not know the answer either!!!!!

Unfortunately, this is not merely a story, but a page from my real life last Thursday night. I mentioned it to my daughter only to make sure that she knew the first words of the Constitution. Today, on this day, the Constitution's 221st anniversary, she brought it up to her teacher who responded (oh, to be a fly on the wall) something to this effect: Well, I looked it up on their website. Hmmmm.

Well, Teach, this is for you (pay close attention to the big words in the upper left hand corner):




And if that's doesn't ring a bell, try this.

Comments

Jenn Casey said…
Oh hey! I just posted some of the words from the Schoolhouse Rock song on my blog!

And yes--to be a fly on the wall....oh my!
Lynne said…
I think I mentioned this before, but I love the image toward the end of the video when all the trees are replaced by houses as a sign of human achievement under American liberty.

Now I really appreciate trees. I would prefer to live where there are many different types of trees (it figured highly into our home purchase), but the fact that that single image is now more jarring than a symbol of the success of our country shows that we've come to value the trees over human progress - and that's a real problem.

Oy! So many things...

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

There's No Place Like Home

Objectivist Round Up #153