Now We Are Six (and Forty)


In which A.A. Milne has nothing on me.
(Unless you count that whole Winnie the Pooh thing.)

Now We Are Six


When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.


A. A. Milne (1927)




Now We Are Six (and Forty)


When I was Ten,
I felt grown up then.
When I was Twenty,
I had verve a-plenty.
When I was Thirty,
I looked mighty purty.
When I was Forty,
I got a bit sporty.
When I was Forty-Five
I really came alive.
But now I am Forty-Six,
And it doesn’t sound nifty,
I have only four years to be Spectacular by Fifty.


Lynne (2010)


I could have just said “Happy Birthday to me,” but that’s so un-poetic.

Comments

Kelly Elmore said…
Yay, happy birthday!!! You are already spectacular! You are so young and gorgeous that no one would even guess you were 46.

Kelly
Cheryl said…
Perfectly poemed.

Have a wonderful day, my friend.
Lynne said…
Thanks, Kelly, that was very nice of you to say.

Thanks, Cheryl. (Did you hear what Kelly implied about us old folks?)
Cheryl said…
Yeah. I'm used to it. I have more than a few years on you.

Great things await. It does get better and better. (Except for the flapping upper arms. I've stopped waving.)
Lynne said…
Bingo wings. That's what V calls 'em. (Hanna Montana )

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home