A Thug By Any Other Name


If you -- like me -- were nearly in disbelief over the statements of Maryland legislator Emmett Burns regarding his desperate attempt to shut up a Baltimore Ravens player’s support of gay marriage, I have one question for you: Were you equally outraged to read Mayor Tom Menino’s less-than-subtle threat to wield the power of government against those who spoke ideas which went against his own?

Burns: 


Menino:


Two excellent examples of men who think they own the minds of others. This buffoonery would be laughable except for one thing: the stationery they were written on.


Comments

Stephen Bourque said…
Good connection.

Interestingly, when this story came out, I assumed from his expressed views that Emmett Burns must be of the "religious Right" persuasion. But in fact he is a Democrat, like his fellow thug Mayor Menino.
Lynne said…
I'm surprised, but I shouldn't be. We can see the left embracing religion, particular around election time.

My argument still stands: A thug is still a thug, no matter the animal on his lapel pin. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find another statist thug of the Republican variety.

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home