Cool beans.

(originally 6/07)
Recently I have been using the expression "cool beans" to mean "sounds good to me". Since I love colorful expresssions and have a little more than a mild obsession with from who, what, where, and when these little gems hail, I have discovered a new source of etymological information:
wiktionary. Etymology: It is originally from Boston, when the baked beans that had just come out of the oven were cool enough to eat, the cook would announce, “Cool Beans.” It became more popular as a result of a Bush Beans commercial in the mid 1980s, when the talking dog, Duke, said it in one of their commercials.

Cool beans, huh?

Update:
I just got a new game, Orijinz, that is dedicated to the derivation of colorful expressions in common use. Have it - haven't played it yet.

I wonder what it would take for a new expression to really explode into our cultural lexicon.

Hot checkers!


Let's see where that goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

There's No Place Like Home

Objectivist Round Up #153