God's Eye


In a stellar display of primacy of consciousness, I ignored known rules of geometry yesterday. For whatever reason, I felt the need to describe a god’s eye to Stephen. (You know, it’s one of those things where you wrap the multi-colored yarn around 2 sticks in the shape of a cross, or an "x", and end up with a square of multi-colored yarn wrapped around 2 sticks that you hang in your room until you’re 15, then chuck in a fit of “what was I thinking?”) I picked up the chalk and began to draw: first the sticks, at least showing an understanding of the order of operations, then the yarn. As I wrapped the chalk-line yarn around the stick-figure sticks knowing full well that developing a square of yarn was my goal, I began to force the yarn outward in between the sticks. Even though it seemed weird, I figured that it must be that way because the entire point of my drawing was to show the design of the square.

It was only when Stephen pointed out that the yarn, as a line, would run straight between the graduated points on the stick, did I realize my mistake. I had seen the square in my mind as being parallel to the horizon and ground, not at an angle. As I started with sticks in a cross, rather than at an “X”, my design square was tangential to the horizon and ground.

That was my big Rationalization of Salami moment yesterday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

There's No Place Like Home

Objectivist Round Up #153