Mamma Mia!



If you love ABBA - it's just a rollicking good time - see it with friends - stay through the credits.

Good Things:

The scenery is gorgeous (Santorini, perhaps?).

I have a new respect for Pierce Brosnan who tried really, really hard and looked really, really good (especially compared to his compatriots).

The big musical numbers are hilarious and infectious (in a good way).

Julie Walters was great (Meryl Streep and Christine Baranski were good, too)!

ABBA (nuff said).

Fair Warnings:

If you don't love ABBA, or don't know ABBA, the story may cause confusion (if you do love ABBA, you won't care!).

Much to my chagrin, Colin Firth (that's right - the love god) looked a little like he had just been beached after too many days floating in the ocean.

Except for the above clip (into which two goofy guitar riffs were added) their take on the songs didn't bother me much. In fact, I could understand some words I had always just mumbled!

If you're not over 40, some scenes may cause gastric upset.

Despite our limited seat mobility, one of my friends starting clapping at the reprise of Dancing Queen at the end of the movie. The whole place started clapping and some people got up from their seats and starting dancing in the aisles!

But for the lack of a 40 foot screen and Dolby surround sound, I would have enjoyed this best at home - where I could really DANCE!!!

Even so, I was glad to see it on the big screen. It's just a really fun romp at the movie theatre. No more, no less.

Comments

Jenn Casey said…
Oh I can't wait to see it! And I'll get to see it at home where I can dance with wild abandon! I'll have to figure out when the DVD is planned.

Disappointed about Colin Firth though. Glad Pierce Brosnan made up for it.
Unknown said…
Thanks for blogging on 'Mamma Mia'. Without your write up, I may have missed seeing it.

I just returned home from the theater and I can't tell you how happy I am just because I got to watch a movie that was non-stop, singing, dancing, joy, sunshine, and laughing.

I can't wait till my first Abba CD arrives in the mail next week. I knew the songs, but for whatever reason, had never bought any Abba. My loss, for sure!

Thank you!
Lynne said…
Well, I'm so glad not only that you liked it, but also that you're not asking me for your money back!

I went again with my son, 20, his girlfriend, and my oldest daughter, 15. My daughter loved it and laughed hysterically in the same places I did (mostly when Pierce Brosnan was trying to sing - gotta love the effort), but my son said it was the worst movie he'd ever seen! He wanted his money back. Some people.

Enjoy your CD!
Jenn Casey said…
Just tonight, I FINALLY got to see this movie.

There's a song in my heart! :o)

Wasn't expecting the heartbreaking "my baby girl is growing up and leaving me" song....oh oh oh!

It was fun.
Lynne said…
"Slipping through my fingers all the time."

Don't I know it.

I had never heard that song before the movie either, but I was prepared for it when we watched it on DVD - I suddenly had to go... get... something!

Glad you finally got the chance to watch and enjoy it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home