Parades and Perches in Pictures

This weekend was all about remembering those who have bravely served our country, and getting the chickens out of the garage and into their coop.

Sites from our tiny local parade:



My favorite part of the High School band (on the right in both pictures):

Sure, I bet she has both pearl earrings on. I’m not sure you can see it, so I wanted to point out the cheetah detailing on the sunglasses.

Also momentous this weekend was the moving of the transitional chicks into their permanent home: the Schechter Poultry Corp. coop (sign still in design phase).

Stephen had been working very hard to get the girls into the coop. He buried hardcloth underneath the entire shed’s dirt floor (good tip from Beth at A is A Academy) and ran it up the sides for at least six inches. He constructed sturdy perches, nesting boxes, and droppings boards according to the instructions in Building Chicken Coops by Gail Damerow. He even made a little chicken door/ramp for them to walk into and out of the coop. The result: they love it.



Even though I’m not sure that the weather is warm enough for the little chickie-dos to be out there, I had to let them go. Well, I did borrow a baby monitor to make sure they weren’t completely left on their own outside in the cold, cold world. I wanted to hear they were adjusting well the first few nights. I know. Even I was shocked at the softie I had become over these prehistoric looking birds.



Comments

Amy said…
Ok, I must have been really busy and not paying attention when you started this project, but:
Why do you have chickens?????
Lynne said…
Three word answer: we love eggs (N.B. not runny ones).

Longer answer: My husband, the foodie, thought it would be a good idea for us all to really know where our food comes from. (I'm glad he's ignoring my love of bacon for the time being.)

I had to agree that there is something attractive about growing our own food. Since I hate bugs (though I'm inexplicably drawn to beekeeping - go figure), gardening is right out for me and chickens eat bugs - they pluck 'em right out of the air, it's cool - raising chickens was a win-win situation for us.

And they're fun to watch. Dumb as rocks, but they make cuter sounds and have better personalities.
Amy said…
I'm with you on the bugs! That is the exact reason I can't stand gardening. Chickens are like spiders, then. I love spiders because they eat mosquitoes, my sworn enemies.

The chickens do look pretty cute in your photos. What a fun thing to do!

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home