After I quickly itemized three good things from this weekend, I realized that there were at least a dozen good things I could share. So here they are in chronological order.
1. Friday night high school football – I go to support the band, especially the flute section, and the weather was perfect. It was an early game and we won.
2. Friday night Family Movie Night – The Breakfast Club. Classic. “I pulled the *&@# trunk, and . . .”
3. Saturday morning Crossfit workout – 6:30 to 8:00 AM, 3 sets of 5 back squats, 75 lbs. I’m working on it. I hate burpees – the name and the crazy-ass ultimate wind-sucking exercise – just thought you’d want to know.
4. Early fall apple picking – with the whole family! Macoun, MacIntosh, Courtland, and Gala. Yum.
5. September Poetry Night (really Poetry Day) – each of us read the sonnets we wrote for the occasion (no one had memorized his). Good parts, everyone adhered to the rhyming scheme and iambic pentameter and most to the story telling aspect as well. (Don't tell anyone, but my seventeen year-old thought it was really fun and she went with a classic tale of star-crossed lovers!) Next month: a dialogue – not poetry. Should be interesting. More details to come.
6. Freshly painted front stair risers, posts, and door trim.
7. Saturday night movie with the minor family – Inspector Lewis on DVD.
8. Sunday morning breakfast with the whole family including two sets of grandparents! How fortunate we are to have both sets of parents and to all enjoy getting together.
9. Sunday afternoon Greater Boston Objectivist Club lunch - shared friendly frustrations over the state of the world and discussed a chapter in Objectivism in One Lesson.
10. Sunday evening surprise delight Nature: Dogs that Changed the World (Part II: Dogs by Design)
11. Sunday afternoon football – mostly, that it aired at 4:30 and didn’t interfere with breakfast, lunch, or Sunday evening activities. Oh, and that end zone catch by Moss.
12. The smell of apple pie and apple tart cooking. Nope. I didn’t eat any of either as I am on day 9 of the Whole 30. More on that, too, at some later date (like day 31).