NYC by the Numbers

8,300,000 The approximate population of New York City.
2,000,000 The approximate number of pieces of artwork in the Metropolitan Museum of Art
140 The sold-out capacity of Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola on Saturday night. Owing more than a little to the incomparable views, this is the most spectacular intimate setting in which to see live jazz.
43 The number of Craft Restaurant on East 19th St. Don’t blink. You’ll miss it.
40 The number of degrees Fahrenheit at 8:30 in NYC Saturday night
16 The outside seating capacity in front of Blue Smoke. Number of patrons drinking a Bleu Smoke Martini there: 1.  I didn’t make it there before 2010, but at least I made it in 2010!
11 The number of things I had the mad urge to touch but didn’t, including, but not limited to the marble nose and lips of a statue of a child at the Met, several fur coats, and the head of a man in front of us in line.  
10 The number of art pieces we examined in our Met tour “Fashion in Art
9 The number of dishes we ordered at dinner. We split the cheese plate as there was no dedicated cheese boy to guide us.
8 The approximate number of pictures we took of the Gapstow Bridge in Central Park (The bridge I either used or considered using in my Christmas Card this year.)


7 The number of hours we spent gallivanting around town in the evening.
6 The number of staircases we went up and down trying desperately to find our way out of the modern art wing of the Met.
5 The number of hours spent walking through the Met looking at and for artwork in the morning.
4 The number of people at our table to see the fantastic Ann Hampton Callaway.  Yes – we had to mingle.
3 The number of hours spent at Craft. First drink of the evening: La Petite Mort.  Really. Would you have passed that up? Let’s just say . . . I’ve had better.  I can’t say that for the French mache salad with artichokes and truffle oil vinaigrette though.  That was the most satisfying damn salad I’ve ever had.
2 The number of people in my party and number of hours we spent strolling through Central Park.  All right, stroll is generous.  I always walk like I’m in a hurry. I’d like to think it’s one of my more charming quirks.

1 The number of complete days spent in NYC.
0 The number of Emanuel Leutze’s “Washington Crossing the Delaware” on display at the Met. It’s in conservancy until 2011. Bummer.

I love New York City.

Comments

tm said…
I don't think there's any way that drink could have lived up to its name.
Lynne said…
But I had to try it.

It was made with gin, maraschino (which was not a cherry, but a liqueur), a lavender liqueur, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Interesting, but no cigar.
tm said…
And no cigarette afterward!

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home