I started Early – Took my Dog –

By Emily Dickinson (656)

I started Early – Took my Dog –
And visited the Sea –
The Mermaids in the Basement
Came out to look at me –

And Frigates – in the Upper Floor
Extended Hempen Hands 
Presuming Me to be a Mouse –
Aground – opon the Sands –

But no Man moved Me – till the Tide
Went past my simple Shoe –
And past my Apron – and my Belt
And past my Boddice – too –

And made as He would eat me up –
As wholly as a Dew
Opon a Dandelion's Sleeve –
And then – I started – too –

And He – He followed – close behind –
I felt His Silver Heel
Opon my Ancle – Then My Shoes
Would overflow with Pearl –

Until We met the Solid Town –
No One He seemed to know –
And bowing – with a Mighty look –
At me – The Sea withdrew –


I am currently reading Kate Atkinson's latest book, Started Early, Took My Dog.  Of course, I had to look up the Dickinson poem that inspired the title.  I enjoy the implied meanings and subtlety of her poetry, and like many of her other poems, this one seems sexually explosive. 

What do you make of it?  And what became of the dog?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home