I've never even heard of it! We'll have to get it sometime.
Stephen took our youngest (she loves Judy Garland) to see "Judy Garland in Concert" with the Boston Pops for her (daughter's, not Judy's) birthday last month - as you can imagine, this was not so easy to do! They both really enjoyed it (Stephen said it was a little eerie, but very well done).
Funny follow-up: I told the 10 year-old about 'The Pirate' and she broke into a peppy chorus of Mack the Black! Apparently, she already knew the music through one of her Judy Garland CDs!
Anonymous said…
That's great! You need to get your daughter to sing you 'Nina'.
The presence of red coats (brown coats). A struggle for independence. A confluence of events and characters making a peerless assemblage. Having had the pleasure of watching the first three episodes of John Adams (the miniseries on HBO) this weekend, I got to wondering about the similarities between it and Firefly . Okay, not really, but the end of the opening theme does bear a striking resemblance to the end of The Ballad of Serenity . The miniseries is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.
Okay. Not really, but I've been thinking about it and this beautiful little song. We're singing this song in chorus this year. I love the memories of watching this on TV when I was young, but even more, it sounds beautiful when we are singing it all together now. I hope Martha Stewart has some awesome, low-cost things to make for Christmas this year. I'm going to need the help budget- and spirit-wise.
A ball bouncing game from my youth instructed the player to throw the ball up ( plainsies ), throw it up and clap ( clapsies ) throw it up and roll your hands ( roll the ball ) and touch your shoulders ( tabapsies ). In trying to locate the rest of the ball bouncing chant, I found out not only is my “tabapsies” a mondegreen , but also the motion – touching your shoulders – isn’t even the correct movement! You are supposed to clap your hands behind your back and say “ to backsies .” Yeah. That makes much more sense. Being only slightly deflated by this discovery, I will still share my exciting news. In an attempt to counteract the stretching of my wrist from doing front squats two days in a row, I pulled out the tabapsies motion this morning. This, in itself, is not newsworthy. However, I grabbed both shoulders with all five fingers!!! Again, not exciting unless you know that when I was nine years-old, I broke my left elbow doing a running c...
Comments
I just saw this post for the first time. I am wondering if you have seen 'The Pirate', with Judy Garland and Gene Kelley. It too is a lot of fun.
Stephen took our youngest (she loves Judy Garland) to see "Judy Garland in Concert" with the Boston Pops for her (daughter's, not Judy's) birthday last month - as you can imagine, this was not so easy to do! They both really enjoyed it (Stephen said it was a little eerie, but very well done).
Let me know when you seen it and I try to add a few more recommendations to The Aesthetic Capitalist.
I went through a long Judy Garland phase myself. Had my family a little worried, I think. ;-)
Many props for having a daughter that loves Judy Garland... much better than Ms. Miley Cyrus!
http://www.amazon.com/Nina-LP-Version/dp/B00123K7SO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1217353428&sr=8-3
It's by far my favorite and totally makes the movie.