The Cradle of Liberty

I'm from Massachusetts, and all I can say is, I'm sorry.














Ed Markey, Representative from Massachusetts "plays 'Dirty Harry' on cap and trade". Click on his picture (from the Wall Street Journal Opinion) to get the reference in the Wall Street Journal Opinion piece.



















Barney "Needs More Oversight" Frank, 13 term Representative from Massachusetts and House Financial Services Committee Chairman. Click on his photo (from Wikipedia) to read his thoughts on financial regulations in the Financial Times in 2007.



What I don't understand is how these politicians can believe that are upholding the Constitution. I know I sound like a broken record, but it is that simple. Do these congressmen think that arbitrarily and frantically expropriating our money and restricting our rights will contribute toward any of the reasons for which the Constitution was established? Which ones and how?

Worse, what are the people who voted them in really thinking? Can anyone believe these men are defending our liberty, or is that no longer of value? If it is, what liberty are they defending?

All government plans happen at the expense of individual plans.

Comments

C. August said…
As a fellow Massachusetts-ian, I feel your pain.

You said, "What I don't understand is how these politicians can believe that are upholding the Constitution."

Yours may be a rhetorical question, but I'll take it literally for the moment. My answer is that they are not trying to uphold the Constitution. That isn't their aim.

To the (small) extent that they are motivated by ideas in any sense, I think they are trying to rectify what they see as wrong about the Constitution. "Sure, the founders were OK, but we're so much better now for taking care of the poor, too. We're IMPROVING on those antiquated ideas of individual rights." People tend to think they're right, no matter the amount of evasion needed to hold onto that view. These guys seem to genuinely believe in at least some of the leftist party line.

That said, I think that their core egalitarianism/altruism is more of an unquestioned foundation for their knee-jerk reactions, all of which they employ for their real purpose... power lust. Barney Frank is the perfect, disgusting example.

As for those who voted for them... "Can anyone believe these men are defending our liberty, or is that no longer of value?" I don't think they consider liberty at all.

OK... I've spent too much time now thinking about these two slugs. I feel like I need a shower.
Lynne said…
I understand wanting to be right. I even understand power lust. I just don't understand how politicians are continually granted that power to be so wrong by the electorate.

What is missing?

Well, that is rhetorical.

Certainly missing is "Wisdom, and knowledge, as well as virtue, diffused generally among the body of the people, being necessary for the preservation of their rights and liberties" as addressed in the Massachusetts Constitution (1780) under the auspices of public education - if you can believe it! Public education can be blamed for much, but not all of the unthinking masses.

The Cradle of Liberty to the Cradle of Collectivism in 230 Years.

sigh.

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home