Getting Juiced

After a rough week of writing, emailing, and calling our federal leaders, all in a vain attempt to head-off the historic expansion of government which nonetheless occurred on Sunday night, it’s time to sit back, relax, recuperate, and revive the soul.

To that end, we’ve decided to get juiced.

This is not another cocktail fact finding mission leading us down the wayward path toward dipsomania despite the similarity of the lovely book filled with pages of caressable pictures of delicious looking concoctions. This is about extracting the liquidy goodness out of vegetables (and occasionally fruits) and drinking it. Yum.


This is Eve (yes, we do name our small appliances), our Breville Juice Fountain (juicer). It’s quiet and strong, and able to extract 16 oz. of creamy goodness out of three carrots, three celery sticks, and bunch of parsley. The book gives over 400 juice recipes to try out. We’re going to concentrate on the vegetable juice recipes for now.


It simply amazes me how much liquid these few veggies and herbs make! While I’m not a big fan of carrots, they certainly add a sweet creaminess to the juice.

 
Here is the Chlorophyll Crunch juice we made last night (nothing goes without garnish at Chez Bourque). 

I’ve been interested in getting more leafy greens into my diet for a while now. By all accounts I’ve read and heard, kale is a superfood, but I just haven’t found a method of cooking it that agrees with my palate. The incessant mastication of most of the raw leafy greens turns me off as well. But drinking it? Depending on the juice base, drinking it is better than painless – it can be downright delightful. I’m really looking forward to experimenting with the green juices and finding just the right combination of flavors. Juicing is not meant to substitute for eating whole veggies, but is a great way to get more good stuff in. 

Of course, as Stephen points out, now we can make the fresh juices for cocktails as well.

If you have any favorite vegetable juice recipes, let me know, and I’ll update on any favorites that arise from our experimentation.

Comments

Christina said…
I was just telling a mutual friend of ours last night that this particular juicer was at the top of my current wish list. Now three people I know have it!

I bet the super green smoothie I tried to make with kale and pineapple would have been much better as a juice. It was not palatable as a "smoothie" (NOT).
Lynne said…
It's the only one (Stephen's girlfriend at) the kitchen store sells. (They love him there - it's hilarious!)
Christina said…
The store down the street you live off? I've only window-shopped there. But I may have to go inside one day!
Lynne said…
That's the one. It's a great store. Obviously the owner has great taste.
Cheryl said…
Check out my 9/21 blog post here:
http://piccoletazze.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

for my juice recipe. (There must be a better way to link you there; I am so tech illiterate.)

I figure it counteracts the martinis.
Fiddler said…
Cheryl, Lynne is an excellent tutor when it comes to blogging, and specifically commenting on blogging. She taught methe art of creating a hyperlink in HTML in a much livelier voice than the guy in the video. And this was in email.
Lynne said…
I'm glad you posted that! I was going to ask you yet another time about it. For those interested, you can find Cheryl's Morning Cocktail
here.

And, if you're interested, Cheryl, you might find my old post on being a Remedial Respondent enlightening.
Lynne said…
Thanks, Fiddler. Our comments caused a tear in the space-time continuum.
Lynne said…
Re: Morning cocktail, I found it best tasting with ice. Lots and lots and LOTS of ice! I think I could get used to it that way.

Popular posts from this blog

The Contest

Objectivist Round Up #153

There's No Place Like Home